Have an account?

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Getting right down to Business!

When I left for new Zealand, I left without a Working Holiday Visa (WHV). I arrived in Auckland as a visitor and left the next day for Te Puke on the Intercity coach (tickets for intercity coach rides are sold at the Sky City Tower or just around the corner, where the bus leaves from).

I applied for a Seasonal Work permit that allowed me to work for Four Months for any seasonal work employment. When the four months ran out, I have to either leave the country or apply for another type of visa that is available for me. I applied the WHV after that.

Photobucket

When I arrived in Te Puke, being the Malaysian that I am, I went straight to one of the many packhouses in town called Seeka Oakside and was to start work the next day. I then started as a Kiwi Fruit Packer, moved up to a Grader, and then to a Tally Clerk in the packhouse.

Here are the responsibilities and pay rates when I was working there:

Bin Dump Operator: Nz$13 an hour
Grader: Nz$12.50 an hour
Packer: Nz$12 an hour
Stacker: Nz$12 an hour
Strapper: Nz$13 an hour
Tally Clerk: Nz$12.75 an hour
Forklift Driver: Nz$15 an hour (Requires special license)
Tray Liners: Nz$12 an hour


Taxes

The rates above are before tax deductions. Tax deductions varies according to how much you receive per week. The more money you get the more the tax deductions are. Anyone that is in search for a job in New Zealand has to register themselves at the Inland Revenue (IRD). You must register for an IRD number, this can be done at the community centres or by going to the IRD centres nearby. There's always one in every town and city. Or you can download the form from Here. It is important that you have an IRD number so that your employer can deduct relevant taxes off your income. you will be able to claim back your taxes once you are about to leave the country.

No comments: